Maysa - A woman in Love

Discuss all aspects of the band in here

Postby jayrom28 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:15 pm

ryan* wrote:Interesting thing with this topic so far is that everyone within the States seems to feel a certain way and the rest of the world feel the opposite. Anyone keen to break the trend? :wink:

it does seem that way
im from nyc and i love her cd

does anyone from across the pond like the cd?
jayrom28
100 & Rising

Postby Danny » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 am

harronevoria wrote:Honestly Kai, I think Incognito productions have spoiled us. Sometimes I do want all my cd in my collection to sound like a Cognito recording, but in the real world it would never happen. I think, however, from our appreciation of their music we've gain an awareness and quest for more music outside the scope of INcognito-ness.

I honestly don't think any of the regulars on this forum are that Incognito-centric in their taste, Harron. Incognito is what brought us to this nice place, where the breadth of the music and genres discussed is abosolutely obvious and here for everyone to see!

I can't make any personal comments on any of Maysa's solo releases including the latest one, because I have never listened to any of her solo stuff.

But, the discussion seems to get extremely heated around the Maysa topic. It seems that within this topic, simple opinions are not accepted as readily as those expressed in all the other threads.

Am I wrong?
Danny
People At The Top

Postby Deatrice » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 am

Yes you are Danny! I don't think that's the case at all! At least not for me. I think we all have very different taste and opinions in music, but the love that we all share for Incognito is what brought us together in the first place. I wouldn't really consider Maysa's topic as a heated one when the same thing is basically going on with the Sade Soldier of Love topic as well. As a whole, we just like what we like and have to respect the opinions of others and the fact that we don't all like the same thing.

Deatrice
Last edited by Deatrice on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching.
Deatrice
Millenium

Postby ryan* » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 am

I think some on this forum personally know Maysa so it's not just about discussing a musician or music, but someone they care about too.

Am I wrong?
The Rainbow Nation under the 'Bafana' groove!
ryan*
Millenium

Postby J i m s t e r » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:29 am

She's just gone too damn smooth for me. Simple as. But if it works for her, and she likes it, who am I to argue?

Not heard the Sade. Real headz, will I like it?
J i m s t e r
People At The Top

Location: With my verse, y'all be cursed, exploding like some fireworks - powwww....

MY MUSIC

Postby maysaleak » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 pm

:lol: Hello everyone. I respect your opinions regarding my solo work.
But I must say that not all of my music is "smooth".
My solo work will always be different from Incognito.It's supposed to be. But because Incognito is kind of part of my musical DNA,I will always sing Jazz-Funk forever.

If you have never heard my solo stuff,give it a chance. Especially the music Bluey produced.

If you don't care for it,I'm okay with that..as long as good music is in your heart it's all good.
Luv Ya!

Maysa
maysaleak

Postby harronevoria » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:02 am

Danny wrote:
harronevoria wrote:Honestly Kai, I think Incognito productions have spoiled us. Sometimes I do want all my cd in my collection to sound like a Cognito recording, but in the real world it would never happen. I think, however, from our appreciation of their music we've gain an awareness and quest for more music outside the scope of INcognito-ness.

I honestly don't think any of the regulars on this forum are that Incognito-centric in their taste, Harron. Incognito is what brought us to this nice place, where the breadth of the music and genres discussed is abosolutely obvious and here for everyone to see!

I can't make any personal comments on any of Maysa's solo releases including the latest one, because I have never listened to any of her solo stuff.

But, the discussion seems to get extremely heated around the Maysa topic. It seems that within this topic, simple opinions are not accepted as readily as those expressed in all the other threads.

Am I wrong?

Eeeh I just think it's kinda odd that the same comments are made by those who do not own the cd. (production, smooth, etc) I can understand if you purchased the LP and then comment, but when you don't have a copy why make a statements like that? Plus not understanding what is considered "smoothjazz". That term is thrown at pretty much every instrumentalist and jazz artist who performs a R&B based song. Everything is relative. There are a lot of R&B songs that are heavily influenced by jazz music. That's the point I was getting at.

I really don't think this thread is all that heated. If you post, you should expect a response.
harronevoria
People At The Top

Postby CJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:47 am

I don't think this thread is heated at all really.

I haven't heard the latest album which is why I haven't commented, I think people are commenting on the direction that Maysa's production has taken. If the album is 'more of the same' then it will definately be pigeon-holed as 'smooth' over here in the UK. Even if our American friends don't agree with this, unfortunately I think that will remain a 'lost ion translation' moment.

Nice of Maysa to stop by and let us know her take on things, it's always great to see any artist posting direct on the forum, but especially when they are a big part of the Incognito Family.

I agree with Maysa that anyone who hasn't heard her solo work should start with the 2nd Album "All My Life" (the one Bluey produced) as this will be the closest to the sound people may expect. I admit it is definately my favourite; "Hooked On Your Love" is a masterpiece (but so is "JFS" on the self-titled debut album :wink: ).

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being passionate about your music. And it's great to see so much banter on the site as it's been a bit quiet recently.
Take it easy
CJ

Download or listen to my mixes @ WaxDJ
Check out my pictures @ Flickr
CJ
Site Admin

Postby DEL BROWN » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:56 pm

From the perspective of someone who regards himself to be a Maysa solo fan, extremely familiar with her solo work and has had the pleasure of seeing her perform live at the Jazz Cafe in London a few years ago..

I ordered Maysa's new CD from play.com but it hasn't arrived yet, so I've been checking out the previews on her myspace page. I already love 'what are you doing the rest of your life'. But can tell from the introduction of this song, that already it has been produced on a budget, using keyboards where I'ld have loved to have heard real strings.

I seem to be on my own with my opinions of Maysa's solo work. I personally think some of her best work to date can be heard on her debut album self titled 'Maysa'. This album is well produced and includes mainly original compositions with just a couple of 'well made' covers thrown in for good measure. The styles of each track varies and agree with CJ that JFS is a scat lovers dream.

I loved Maysa's first first four albums, which I recommend as being her true work and style. This sound did return briefly with 'Metamorphosis', But sadly for me, since her collaboration with Sanachie (where the "Smooth Jazz" label has come from), although good in the sense they have produced more work for her, have let her down with their production and budget restrictions. The voice is as strong as ever, but the synthetic instruments, familiar arrangements and continuing 'love song' covers, create very little for her loyal fan base to get excited about.

I think Maysa's vocals have been of a consistently high standard throughout all her solo work. However, I don't think we have heard the best from Maysa yet, that could come when she is truly challenged and works with some 'out of her comfort zone' producers. I look forward to a time when she is in a position to come over to the London and work with some 'new to her' producers, produce 12 original tracks, recorded with a bunch of talented musicians and release an album which gets the promotion and recognition it deserves.
DEL BROWN
100 & Rising

Postby ROXYMUZAK » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:50 pm

DEL BROWN wrote:From the perspective of someone who regards himself to be a Maysa solo fan, extremely familiar with her solo work and has had the pleasure of seeing her perform live at the Jazz Cafe in London a few years ago..

I ordered Maysa's new CD from play.com but it hasn't arrived yet, so I've been checking out the previews on her myspace page. I already love 'what are you doing the rest of your life'. But can tell from the introduction of this song, that already it has been produced on a budget, using keyboards where I'ld have loved to have heard real strings.

I seem to be on my own with my opinions of Maysa's solo work. I personally think some of her best work to date can be heard on her debut album self titled 'Maysa'. This album is well produced and includes mainly original compositions with just a couple of 'well made' covers thrown in for good measure. The styles of each track varies and agree with CJ that JFS is a scat lovers dream.

I loved Maysa's first first four albums, which I recommend as being her true work and style. This sound did return briefly with 'Metamorphosis', But sadly for me, since her collaboration with Sanachie (where the "Smooth Jazz" label has come from), although good in the sense they have produced more work for her, have let her down with their production and budget restrictions. The voice is as strong as ever, but the synthetic instruments, familiar arrangements and continuing 'love song' covers, create very little for her loyal fan base to get excited about.

I think Maysa's vocals have been of a consistently high standard throughout all her solo work. However, I don't think we have heard the best from Maysa yet, that could come when she is truly challenged and works with some 'out of her comfort zone' producers. I look forward to a time when she is in a position to come over to the London and work with some 'new to her' producers, produce 12 original tracks, recorded with a bunch of talented musicians and release an album which gets the promotion and recognition it deserves.

i couldn't have told this better.. also due to my language restrictions..
:D
ROXYMUZAK
Everyday

Postby Stefan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:00 pm

excellent post Del. I think you nailed it.
-
I would love to see Maysa with a bunch of different musicians, which challenge her out of the "comfort zone".

Listening to JFS now I thing this would also fall under the smooth category, BUT it has that beautiful (british? jazzfunk?) twist. awesome tune nevertheless!
Stefan

www.mypairofshoes.com
new mix: My Pair Of Shoes Vol. 80, August 2013 at: mixes|downloads
Stefan
Too Far Gone

Postby heru » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:14 pm

yes there are personal feelings hear. these are not just maysa's fans they are her friends too!there is never going to be objectivity discussing maysa for some. no matter how much musical gobblede goop is espoused. the bottom line is whether you like it or don't. it's just an opinion. harron does this when ever there is a critism of maysa even a little bit.for me maysa leak is a great artist but, more so a great vocal technician. she has always been so. the older she get's the more that's evident because she has had to deal with the realities of the american market(production/budgets)which has been eluded to. but, just because she can SANG doesn't me everyone is going to like her music or, her as an entertainer.
heru
heru
Talkin' Loud

Postby CJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:20 pm

heru wrote:gobblede goop.

That's a good word. I'll make a note of it and use it later...

:lol:
Take it easy
CJ

Download or listen to my mixes @ WaxDJ
Check out my pictures @ Flickr
CJ
Site Admin

Postby harronevoria » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 am

heru wrote:yes there are personal feelings hear. these are not just maysa's fans they are her friends too!there is never going to be objectivity discussing maysa for some. no matter how much musical gobblede goop is espoused. the bottom line is whether you like it or don't. it's just an opinion. harron does this when ever there is a critism of maysa even a little bit.for me maysa leak is a great artist but, more so a great vocal technician. she has always been so. the older she get's the more that's evident because she has had to deal with the realities of the american market(production/budgets)which has been eluded to. but, just because she can SANG doesn't me everyone is going to like her music or, her as an entertainer.

To make it clear Heru I will comment where I have something to contribute. My point for responding is how can you comment when you haven't heard the recording? I think it's fine if you purchased the cd, listened to it, and then comment. Post your opinions if you will. If someone post something, I will comment. That's what the forum is for.

My approach is more than just a fan, but as a musician who dissects the music regardless if it's Maysa, ABC, or whoever else. When I listened to A Woman in Love, I compared it not to Maysa's earlier recordings or Incognito's but to other female vocalist in that genre. ie Dianne Reeves, Diane Krall, Cassandra Wilson. There is one song that Krall did that's one Maysa's cd that I listened to. Krall jazz phrasing lacked some extensions in the melody.

I'm sorry that my post come across other wise. Basically if I have the recording I will comment. 8)

I'm actually laughing cause I started this thread just to inform peeps that Maysa has a new cd out. lol :-) I do see that there is still a language barrier. But if we always agreed with everything, then we would have nothing to discuss.
harronevoria
People At The Top

Postby Lee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:53 am

Just heard 'Round Midnight' on Solar Radio - tune was really nice, drum were absolute killer on it (sound like Vinnie Colauita) and if the rest of the album is like that then i'll probably like it, but as i haven;t heard it, then i'll withhold judgement.
http://www.myspace.com/tremainband
Lee
Always There

PreviousNext

Return to Incognito Everyday